Protecting the environment
- Restricting fuel emissions from all our vehicles.
- No overloading of vehicles to increase the chances of fuel emissions, accidents and damage to roads
- Encourage use of petro cards to monitor the quality of fuel used by our vehicles
To be able to protect sparrows that are fast disappearing we have built nesting spaces for them at our Gandhidham and Rajkot centers.
V-Trans has also introduced several initiatives to protect the environment both directly and indirectly:
Initiatives which have a direct effect on the environment:
- With a view to conserve our natural resources we have set up solar panels at most hubs. The lighting system in some of our hubs operates on solar energy. Especially at our Vapi Super Hub solar energy is used to operate the hot water geysers used by the approximately 200 labourers, drivers and staff staying there.
- Rain harvesting techniques (recharging of water) has also been introduced at our Vapi Super Hub, Aslali, and Neelmangala and Gandhidham premises prevent depleting our resources further.
- We had a sapling planting drive at Vapi in association with the Vapi Industrial Association, whereby employees planted around 200 saplings marked with their individual names on them, thus making them responsible for their individual sapling.
- At Golden chokdi transshipment, Baroda we have planted 12 trees.
- At Gandhidham we have planted around 150 saplings of neem suitable for surviving in the local environmental conditions.
- To maintain food chain balance, at Rudanagar, Rajkot and Gandhidham we have created 30-40 nesting spaces for sparrows where they could rear their young ones. This will soon be replicated in Bangalore and Vapi.
- With 99% of our branches computerized, we have handed over the responsibility of recycling our ewaste to Eco Recycling Ltd.
Initiatives which are beneficial to the environment in an indirect way:
- 99% of our branches are computerized, thus all transactions are done online, reducing the use of paper. All paper used in the office is reused and recycled.
- We have set up environment friendly water coolers at all our regions to offer cool water to the citizens at large.
In recognition of the above initiatives we have won the CEAT India Road Transportation award for Environment Conservation for the year 2011.